The Willow Run Bomber Plant will be featured tonight (October 18) at 9pm on the National Geographic Channel TV special. Yankee Air Museum's Randy Hotton and WWII Willow Run Rosie the Riveter Helen Slater were interviewed for the TV special.
Don't miss the National Geographic TV special! To view a preview of the TV special, click here!
The Willow Run Bomber Plant was built by the Ford Motor Company in 1941 to serve as an airfield for their B-24 Bomber Plant. This was the first aircraft manufacturing plan to use Ford's automotive mass production techniques, a leading technological innovation of the time. Ford Motor Company built 8,685 B-24s from 1942 until the end of World War II. At its peak, the Willow Run plant employed over 42,000 people and produced one B-24 every 59 minutes. The last bomber to roll off the assemblyl line was named the 'Henry Ford.' WHen the war was over the airport became the hub for passenger flight and air freight in the Detroit Metropolitan area.
The Yankee Air Museum was added to the Willow Run airport to preserve the facts and glamour of southeastern Michigan's aviation history. On October 9, 2004, the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run Airport suffered a terrible fire that destroyed the historic hanger housing the museum. The Michigan Aerospace Foundation was formed to plan and fund the future expansion of the new Museum's facilities. Efforts to raise funds for the new home of the museum and flyable aircrafts are continuing and the deadline to raise funds was recently extended to the beginning of November, 2013.
For more information on donating to the fundraising efforts to save the historic Willow Run Bomber Plant, visit here!