Ypsilanti is a progressive, funky and historic city located just east of Ann Arbor. The home of Eastern Michigan University, unique shops, historic properties and museums, and more than eight weekend festivals during the summer (one being the annually sold-old Michigan Summer Beer Festival), Ypsilanti is a place you’ll want to visit this year! Ypsilanti is named after Greek war hero Demetrius Ypsilanti, pronounced Ip-sil-ant-ee and most often referred to as “Ypsi.”
We’ve crafted day trip and weekend trip itineraries that will let you experience a variety of what Ypsilanti has to offer travelers.
Day Trip Intinerary
If you choose to visit Ypsilanti for just a day, here is what we suggest:
- Visit Depot Town, located just next to Riverside Park, Depot Town is home to delicious restaurants (Sidetrack Bar & Grill, their burgers were voted some of the best in the U.S.) and two museums (Fire House Museum and The Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum).
- Check out The Rocket, a unique shop with novelty toys, candy and Ypsi-centric gifts!
- Visit Rolling Hills County Park, home to the county’s largest water park! This water park includes a wave pool, water slides and much more. Absolutely perfect for that hot summer day. Visiting in the cooler months? Visit Rolling Hills for outdoor hikes, biking and hiking.
Weekend Trip Itinerary
If you are in Ypsilanti for the weekend, here is what we suggest in addition to the activities listed above. (For accommodations, click here!)
- Stay at Ypsilanti's Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti Hotel at Eagle Crest Resort! Enjoy lavish accomodations, a delicious on-site restaurant and a beautiful golf course right outside your window.
- Plan your trip for the weekend of a festival. This way you’ll have time to enjoy the festival and everything else that Ypsilanti has to offer! For more information on the events taking place in Ypsilanti, visit VisitYpsi.org. Below you’ll find a list of top annual Ypsilanti festivals.
- Grab a bite at Beezy’s Cafe for delicious brunch, sandwiches and soups. If you are craving some BBQ, don’t miss Red Rock BBQ in downtown Ypsilanti!
- Try out a local favorite, the Arbor Brewing Company Microbrewery, formally known as Corner Brewery, for craft beers and tasty food. They also have an outdoor patio, perfect for an afternoon of beer tasting.
Don’t miss these events –
- The Color Run (6/21) “The Happiest 5K on the Planet”
- 15th Annual Michigan Elvis Fest (7/11 & 7/12)
- Michigan Summer Beer Festival (7/25 & 7/26)
- Thunder Over Michigan (8/9 & 8/10)
- Ypsilanti Heritage Festival (8/15 - 8/17)