Chelsea is a historic community with a vibrant downtown and a gateway to outdoor recreation, located just 20 miles west of Ann Arbor. Described as a community of small town life – re-mixed, Chelsea is the home to such famous attractions as Chelsea Milling (home of JIFFY Mixes), The Purple Rose Theatre (founded by actor Jeff Daniels), and Chelsea Teddy Bear Factory.
Experience JIFFY’s manufacturing process through their free tours and experience the theatre up-close at The Purple Rose Theatre, their intimate theatre allows you to experience shows in a whole new way. Chelsea’s downtown is home to delicious restaurants such as The Common Grill, Cleary’s Pub and the Chelsea Ale House, so you won’t go hungry!
We’ve crafted day trip and weekend trip itineraries that will let you experience a variety of what Chelsea has to offer travelers.
Day Trip Itinerary
If you choose for visit Chelsea for just a day, here is what we suggest:
- Visit downtown Chelsea! Enjoy the short sculpture walk around downtown.
- Visit Chelsea Farmer’s Supply, an old-timey farm shop.
- Take a tour of Chelsea Milling Company, the home of JIFFY Mixes. See how this family run business has been making their baking mixes for over 80 years!
Weekend Trip Itinerary
If you are in Chelsea for the weekend, here is what we suggest in addition to the activities listed above. (For accommodations, click here!)
- Stay at the Chelsea's Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express or check out the Chelsea Bed and Breakfasts!
- Plan your trip for the weekend of a festival. This way you’ll have time to enjoy the festival and everything else that Chelsea has to offer! For more information about Chelsea events, visit ChelseaMich.com. Below you’ll find a small list of Chelsea festivals.
- Grab a meal and a beer at Cleary’s Pub or at the Chelsea Alehouse Brewery.
- Visit the Chelsea Teddy Company for a factory tour!
- Catch a show at The Purple Rose Theatre, this intimate theater provides an up-close and entertaining show experience!
- Enjoy a Jazz brunch at The Common Grill on Sunday mornings!